Monday, August 20, 2012

SOLC-Perfect

Tonight as I was driving home I was listening to Pink's Perfect (clean version).  Emma was in the back seat.  Singing away at the top of her lungs.  I stopped singing and began to listen to her sing...

Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss “no way it’s all good”
It didn’t slow me down
Mistaken
Always second guessing
Underestimated
Look, I’m still around…
Pretty, pretty please
Don’t you ever, ever feel
Like your less than
Less than perfect
Pretty, pretty please
If you ever, ever feel
Like your nothing
You are perfect to me

This had real signficance for me because many people look at my daughter and see imperfection.  A genetic fluke.  A mistake.  Basically, less than perfect. As she sang these words I felt like she was saying to the world watch out here I come.

So often people cast her aside because her speech isn't clear.  Or because she has almond shaped eyes. Really it boils down to this. Many people choose to see the extra chromosome that is in 48% of her body.  It saddens me really.  The little something extra that she possesses isn't a death sentence.  If anything it forces her to enjoy life for exactly what it is.  To celebrate the joys in the little things and the big things.

Perfection nowadays is often seen as a size 0 who walks down the runway.  Long blonde hair with a swagger.  However, I beg to differ. Perfection is giving a 110% to learn how to talk and walk and never give up.  Perfection is laughing and giggling with little sister over a "tea" party.  Perfection is in the eyes of my child.  Perfection.

So next time you see a child or adult who society deems as less than worthy I challenge you to look past society's definition of perfection.   And think of Pink and think of Emma.  Perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment