Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Work In Progress

As a teacher I understand that the little people I am blessed to have in my classroom each day are not perfect.  I do not expect them to be perfect.  I start my year making sure that my kids know that I am not Mary Poppins, nor do I demand that everything that they do be correct/perfect.  We learn from our mistakes.

I've been called on the carpet for not allowing my own imperfections and flaws to just be out in the open.  And SHOCKER, to accept them.  I don't know why  I am so hard on myself.  I always have been from the time I was teeny.

In my freshman year of college after working every Tuesday and Thursday afternoons with a prof on my assignments I still only pulled a C instead of my usual A or B, I called my mom distraught. I just knew my parents were going to be mad.  I was amazed when my mother said, "Did you try and do your best?" My reply was a resounding, "YES!"  At that moment it HIT me. That's all anyone asks.

But somewhere between what I know and what I preach my brain says, "Yes, but this doesn't apply to you." And really this is when you have to CHOOSE to STOP saying these things.

Then I heard we are all really just a work in progress. Oh. Em. Gee.  This is amazing.  I swear I've felt like I've been in the audience of an Oprah show and witnessed an AHHH, HAAA  moment.

When I look into my little girls' eyes I do not expect them to be perfect.  In fact it's the exact opposite.  I don't mind their mistakes because I know they are learning.   But aren't I learning about life also?  I may be ahem...35, but I do not have life figured out.  Making mistakes happens. Perfection is not demanded by anyone in my circle.  Therefore, letting go and just being is what I need to do I WILL DO!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment