Note cards? Notebook paper? Organizers? I have tried many different ways through the years to help my students organize notes. I think I have figured out what works for me and my students.
For my students to truly understand what they are researching we had to establish the purpose of our research. The project at hand was a cross-curricular project so my teaching partner and I were tag teaming lessons. I taught note taking lessons and she allowed additional time for researching in her room. This worked out great and allowed us to finish the project in two weeks.
Students generated a list of questions on the planet they were researching. They understood they needed key facts about their planet, but knew to keep it interesting to their reader. Majority of students worked on finding out the following information
- where the planet is location in relation to the earth
- could the planet sustain life
- did the planet have or has water
- the number of days/years it take to orbit the sun
- size in relation to the sun and earth
- how it was formed
- if it has rings how they were formed and what purpose they have
- how old the planet is