Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Challenge #11~Humbled~

I left Emma's meeting humbled. Once again I realize that when I am on the "other side" in IEP meetings I hope that I am just as respectful and understanding as Emma's teachers. To hear wonderful things like almost a 2 year gain and she is really learning how to climb stairs correctly~without fear touches my mother's heart. I also realize that I am actually part of the team and there was no hidden agenda on the school's side. We decided what was best for Emma. In fact goals were added and changed as we sat and discussed what was best for Emma.

Through the years, I have learned that advocacy is tough in the district you work in, but I hope the lessons I learn each time I am a parent in an IEP are carried over into the IEPs I sit on as a teacher.

4 comments:

  1. I was always a bit more on my toes when dealing with teacher-parents. But it was usually great. Lynnelle, I'll bet you make a great parent on the other side of the table.
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Bonnie I am always a little on guard when meeting with teacher-parents. I have never had a bad experience though. It helps me as a teacher to imagine myself in the parent's chair during the meeting. Glad it went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went well. Emma is a lucky girl to have so many people working to find what is best for her.

    ReplyDelete