Sunday, January 6, 2013

Songs Through My Life

I have often said that my life would be so much easier if everyone realized it was a musical. In high school I loved the oldies and Phantom of the Oprah and Alternative Rock and last, but certainly not least Alanis Morrissette.

College was filled with fawning and following what I thought were my dreams, but only turned out to be doing what I thought was the dutiful thing to do when you got married...you know "I love him, I love him, I love him and where he goes I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow."

Then my musical hit my late 20's and turned into soft lullabies at the birth of my children. "Summertime and the livin' is easy, the fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high." 

The jarring realization as the 30s hit really turned into a hodge podge of music.  Because at the same time that my world turned upside down, a wonderful show called Glee entered my life and introduced me to the great thing called a "mash up."

The Playlist of my 30s.

* Defying Gravity
*Maybe This Time
*Mash up of Rolling In the Deep/Somebody to Love
*Mash up of Set Fire to the Rain/Girl on Fire

So when trying to explain how I feel right now at this exact moment in my life I would have to say it's another mash up of Happy/The Way I Am.

I am getting ready to celebrate the 10th anniversary of turning 25 in a few weeks and I am so glad that my playlist today says that I am content in who I am.  It says that I am ready to take risks.  I am thrilled that I am no longer at the place I was 5 years ago when all I wanted was for my bed to swallow me up so I wouldn't have to think about what happened to my family. My playlist or really my life is a happy one.  

My musical has new characters in it; except this time the characters add to it.  It's fun to wake up each day and think, "Wow, how did I get this lucky?"


No comments:

Post a Comment