Friday, February 27, 2009

Poetry

Poetry is one of my favorite genres to teach. I use poems all year long in my reading curriculum. We wrote "Where I'm From..." poems the week before George Ella Lyon visited. Today we studies Antwone Fisher's poems. Many of his poems repeat phrases or words. We talked about the significance in why writers choose to do this. Students then went to their map of their heart to pick out a topic that was meaningful to them that they knew they could write about. One student dictated to me and I am once again amazed at my writers. They do truly listen to their hearts.

After visiting with my writers as they began drafting their poems, I have my mini-lessons for next week: stanza form, use of white space, poem layout. I hoping to have these published by student led conferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment