Monday, February 23, 2009

Memoir Monday~River Rafting


“Come on!” exclaimed Brandon. “You’re on vacation! You’ve got to do this!”

“It is fun, Lynnelle,” my mother commented.

“Okay! Let’s go!” I replied.

We changed into our swimsuits and loaded the raft into the bed of our truck. We were off! We unloaded at the dam and walked down the tiny trail to the loading area.

Brandon began to explain to me how to get into the raft when I just “gracefully” rolled in. He laughed and jumped into the raft.

The moment we arrived in the middle of the river I noticed the silence. It seemed almost deafening. As we continued the birds sang and locusts buzzed. I could hear the water rippling around the edges of the boat. Suddenly, I hear water rapidly moving over rocks. Our raft dips and cold water splashes over my side of the boat. Then the deafening silence returns.

Brandon and I were just enjoying the quiet and nature sounds, when we felt this heat as if an oven had suddenly turned on. I looked and I could see “wind” coming. Our raft whipped around as dust flew across the river. Then just as the heat suddenly arrived, it was gone. We were once again left with our thoughts and nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment