Tuesday, March 22, 2011

22/31

My students and I have begun the poetry genre study. Students have been perusing various kinds of poetry with the purpose of answering "What is Poetry?  As we allowed the books to consume us our day frittered by and I was left without time for a sharing circle so on an exit card my students answered the question of the reading time. As I collected the cards and wished everyone a wonderful afternoon I set the cards aside and began my next session.  At the end of the day I looked at my collection and began making a Smart Board Anchor Chart.  Many of them were the same Poetry is short, poetry is white space, poetry rhymes and sometimes it does not.  However one student surprised me her idea of poetry is this "All those incomplete sentences. Those fragments are hard to understand, but they are packed full of meaning."  I couldn't have said it better.

5 comments:

  1. What a perfect explanation. You must have taught that student well. Poetry is not my favorite genre to read or teach but it does touch so many people. Good luck with your genre study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Powerful words from a kid! Great explanation! I think I may have to borrow that definition when we start our poetry unit in April! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! How insightful for a young one to come up with that thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic insight! I'm so glad you didn't have time for your share circle and did the exit slips instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great definition - it sounds like the start of a poem itself!

    ReplyDelete